Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I begin to blog...


So. I’m going to dive into this blog and periodically share some of my musings working on The Closest Farthest Away/Entrañable Lejanía. The photo above is of Agnieska- my partner in crime on the writing scene (just in case you haven’t watched the video interviews yet.) We could not stop laughing taking this photo. Days when it wasn't raining or too sunny (it was August, so blaring hot sun) or there weren't some kind of renovations being done outside (a bathroom off of the patio got new tiles and a new toilet.) we’d eat (or take a break and Agnieska would smoke) on Laura’s patio. We saw these legs on Day 1, and every so often these legs would have traveled about from bench to chair to rocking chair. Sometimes we'd move them, sometimes we'd sit with them. We were always entertained by them. And one day Agnieska wore this white ensemble and came up with the idea for a photo op. Of course a different angle may have concealed the trick, but we were amused nonetheless.
This was during the first few days, we were figuring out characters and discovering plot points for the script and scenes set in Cuba, making them more specific. I've taken more photos that I will share from time to time, and always after a trip, one wishes she'd taken more. But my fingers were usually focused on my keyboard and not on whether or not I'd taken pictures that day. And when Laura and Yasef brought the camera around, I could get incredibly shy. And when it was as hot as it was, you don't really need a zillion sweaty pictures.
But Agnieska and I hope for more adventures, and yes, more opportunities for her and I to collaborate on future projects.
Today (October 2) Agnieska emailed that she is going to now begin work on the v4 Spanish translation - in addition to talking with the rest of the team, she and I have continued to send each other scenes and notes, going through another few drafts since the time we worked in person together. The script continues to tighten, but as we bring more realistic scenes into the mix, and crafted patterns within the sequences of time, we’ve wanted to keep a sense of our jumping off points, of a kind of dreamlike magic. Underneath all our writing and digging into the who, what, where, when, why and how is a whimsy that is captured in this photo.
-Joy

No comments: